This course is an upper level elective for Biology majors, which focuses on marine biology. We will study the physical and chemical properties of the ocean, the diversity of organisms that live in this environment, the various regions of the marine environment, and human impacts on the ocean.
At the conclusion of the course, students should have an understanding of:
- the chemical, physical, and biological properties of the oceans
- the diversity of organisms that live in the marine environment, with a focus on the coral reefs of Belize
- different regions of the ocean and the unique challenges to life that each represents
- the impacts of human activities on the oceans
- the utility of the scientific method as a means of acquiring new information and how to present and interpret data
- how to communicate in a scientific manner, both in writing and orally
- 1/19/18 - Please read Chapters 1 and 2 - pages 1-39 for Monday!
- 1/24/18 - For Lab, please read
- Chapter 5 - pages 94-95 and 95-96
- Chapter 6 - pages 102-109, 109-113, and 112-116
- 1/26/18 - Please read Chapter 3 - pages 48-56 for Monday!
- 1/29/18 - Please read Chapter 3 - pages 56-63 for Wednesday!
- 1/31/18 - Please reread Chapter 6 - pages 107-109 for Lab!
- 2/2/18 - Please read Chapter 9 - pages 180-188 for Monday!
- 2/5/18 - Please read Chapter 9 - pages 188-210 for Friday!
- 2/7/18 - Please skim Chapter 6 - pages 109, 109-113, and 144-166 for Lab!
- 2/16/18 - Please read Chapter 7 - pages 117-130 for Lab!
- 2/21/18 - Plead read Chapter 10 - pages 213-222 for Lecture!
- 3/2/18 - Please read Chapter 10 - pages 213-232 for Monday!
- 3/26/18 - Please read Chapter 11 - pages 246-269 for Wednesday!
- 4/9/18 - Please read Chapter 12 - pages 270-275, 281-284, and 287-288 for Wednesday!
Tutoring/Review Sessions - Brandon Cathey
Biology Writing Center - Allison Monroe and Claire Turkal
- Mondays from 6 to 8 pm
- Wednesdays from 6 to 8 pm
- At the table in the west end stairwell on the second floor of D.W. Reynolds
Belize Trip Links
Can be purchased at UCA's Study Abroad Office
Belize Marine TREC - facility at which we will be staying in San Pedro, on the island of Ambergris Caye
- 360 Farris Road, Conway, AR 72034
- For $25.00
Jungle Dome - Hotel-Lodge in Belmopan, Cayo District
Actun Tunichil Mukal (ATM) Cave
Mayan Ruins at Tikal, Guatemala
Video about the 2013 Belize Trip and reflections about the trip by the students that went in 2013 and 2014
Class Web Resources
Lab Web Resources
Return to home page